We also needed to create a harness to hold the wings on our backs, but also underneath our dresses.
After much deliberation, we figure out how we wanted to do it:
For the harnesses, we were between using wood and Lexan as the base for the harness.
We ended up choosing Lexan, as it was already cut to the size wee needed it to be, and it was lighter than wood. To hold the pipes in place that protruded from the wings, we used sections of slightly larger PVC pipes, bolted with brackets to the Lexan.
Before assembling the harnesses, we cut out a fabric "backpack" shape out of two layers of strong muslin and a couple of layers of batting for padding. We had just enough extra foam from the wings to make a rectangle for the backing of the Lexan, to cover the heads of the bolts.
So, the order we assembled the harnesses was:
- drill holes in Lexan
- Put the bolts through the back of the Lexan
- Glue the rectangle of EVA to cover the heads of the bolts onto the backside of the Lexan
- sandwich the Lexan between fabric with batting behind the EVA
- position the strapping, pinning it between the fabric and batting layers
- CAREFULLY sew around the Lexan sandwich with a sewing machine, taking the time to sew those squares with Xs in them to reinforce where the strapping is attached
- poke holes in the top layer of fabric where the bolts are pushing the fabric out
- attach the PVC with the brackets, bolting them on
- Finally, epoxy the PVC tubes so they won't twist when wearing them
|First test of the harness. There was still a lot of work to do on it.|
For the strapping and buckles, and related accessories, go to your local outdoor store! I know I don't usually frequent them, but they sell items to repair backpacks, and for a bit lower than the local Hancock Fabrics in my area. You may want to compare prices before you buy though, those camping stores are usually outrageously expensive....
(PICTURES forthcoming... I want to get some more entries up, then wrestle with the picture embedding later...)